What personal information is collected on the CME University Site and how is it collected?
- When you participate in a CME, CE or CNE (collectively, "CME/CE") activity provided by PIM, you are asked for your name, street address, telephone number(s), fax number, e-mail address, profession and specialty. You also may be asked for (i) your NPI number if you are participating in CME/CE activity related to a federally mandated Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy ("REMS") for which participant tracking is required by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration ("FDA"), and (ii) your credit card information if a particular CME/CE activity requires payment.
How do PIM and JHI use the personal information that is collected on the CME University Site?
- JHI will use your personal information to grade your post-test and/or to issue you a certificate of completion documenting your participation in the CME/CE activity. If JHI uses a third-party company to grade your post-test and/or issue certificates of completion, JHI will give your name, street address, e-mail address, profession and specialty to that company for that purpose only.
- If you provide your credit card information, JHI will forward that information to our credit-card processing vendor, who will process it and let JHI know whether the charge has been authorized. JHI stores the credit card number, encrypted except for the last four digits, along with the card expiration date, but neither PIM nor JHI can use the credit card number for any purpose.
- For each CME/CE activity that you take, you must complete an evaluation questionnaire. That questionnaire requires you to opt out if you are not willing to participate in a follow-up survey. If you do not opt out of participating in the follow-up survey, PIM may use your name and contact information to send you a follow-up survey.
- JHI may use your personal information to send you information about other CME/CE activities that PIM is offering.
- JHI also may share your personal information with third parties, so that they may send you information about CME/CE activities that they offer.
- PIM may report your participation and share your personal information, including name, address, and NPI number with organizations, such as the Accreditation Council for CME (ACCME), that are approved by the FDA to collect information on CME/CE related to a mandated REMS.
- On occasion, the commercial supporter of a CME/CE activity (the "Supporter") will ask PIM for a list of the people who participated in that activity, so that it can comply with applicable laws or document the first level of outcomes-based evaluation in CME/CE (i.e., the profile of the learner's that participated, to include a summary of which medical specialties/practices were represented, how this compares to the target audience, and whether the activity needs to be repeated because significant numbers of the target audience did not participate). If the Supporter only wants information to document the first level of outcomes-based evaluation, PIM will provide the Supporter with a summary of the learner profile that participated in the activity, but PIM will not provide your personal information. If the Supporter is asking for information that it needs to comply with applicable laws, and in particular, the federal "Sunshine Act," PIM will provide your first, middle and last name and your street address, and the fact that you participated in this particular CME/CE activity.
- On occasion, the third-party provider or education partner of a CME/CE activity on the CME University Site (the "Provider/Partner") will ask PIM for a list of the people who participated in a particular CME/CE activity that the Provider/Partner prepared or accredited, for the Provider/Partner's record-keeping purposes only. In response to such a request, PIM will provide the Provider/Partner with the name, street address, e-mail address, profession and specialty of each person who participated in that CME/CE activity.
- If PIM or JHI is acquired by or merged into another company, that entity will make your personal information available to the new owner/entity to use in the ways described above, to enable it to continue the business.
- If PIM or JHI is required to disclose your personal information by any applicable law, court order, or government regulation, it will comply with such law, order or regulation.
Do any third parties collect personal information on the CME University Site?
What about non-confidential information that you transmit to the CMW University Site?
Any communication or material you transmit to the CME University Site by electronic mail or otherwise, including any data, questions, comments, suggestions, or the like is, and will be treated as, nonconfidential and nonproprietary. JHI and PIM may use anything you transmit to or post on the CME University Site for any purpose, including but not limited to, reproduction, disclosure, transmission, publication, broadcast, posting and/or ranking, and they are free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how, or techniques contained in any communication you send to the CME University Site without compensation and for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to, developing, manufacturing and marketing products and services using such information.
How can you correct your personal information on the CME University Site?
To keep your personal information accurate, current and complete, you can update your profile on the CME University Site, e-mail CMEU@pimed.com or call 303-799-1930.
How can you be sure that your personal information is secure on the CME University Site?
JHI takes reasonable steps to protect your personal information as you transmit it from your computer to the CME University Site and to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. You should keep in mind that no Internet transmission is ever 100% secure or error-free. In particular, e-mail sent to or from the CME University Site may not be secure, Moreover, if you use passwords, ID numbers, or other special access features on the CME University Site, it is your responsibility to safeguard them.
What about links to other Web sites?
If you are a California resident, how can you find out the names of any information brokers or any other third parties with whom JHI or PIM shares your personal information under California Privacy (Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code § 22575 et seq. ("Cal-OPPA")?
Send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org, and within thirty (30) days, JHI will provide you with that information.
How will you know if this policy has changed?